Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Interviews and Synthisis

Question One: How do you feel about school?

Interviewee One:
I don't like school.

Interviewee Two:
I hate school. I can't wait to be done with it. When I leave I'll miss the people in it and learning new things but school sucks.

Interviewee Three:
I love school. I love learning new things and expandidng my mind.

Interviewee Four:
I love it. It keeps my brain going and i get to study what i want. I hated 90% high school. The 10% of high school i did like was meeting [life long friends] and some teachers.

Interviewee Five:
I have mixed feelings about school. There are some good things about school and some bad things. I like learning about things but not the pressure filled environment of high school.

Question Two: How do you feel about being graded in school?

Interviewee One:
I would say the intention of grades is okay but probably not always enforced correctly by every teacher

Interviewee Two:
I hate being graded. It gets you into trouble.

Interviewee Three:
Grades are fine. They let you know how you are progressing.

Interviewee Four:
Grades keep you on your toes. They give you something to strive for and helps you set goals.

Interviewee Five:
You get graded in life and you get graded in school. There's not much of a difference.

Question Three: If you could change one aspect of school what would it be?

Interviewee One:
I would change the time school begins and ends each day.

Interviewee Two:
I would change the time school starts.

Interviewee Three:
Classes are over crowded and students aren't allowed to explore personal passions.

Interviewee Four:
The part of school I had difficulty with was not the academics but the social aspects.

Interviewee Five:
I would change that we call our teachers by there first name. It makes me feel like I know them and [there's less of the automatic respect for authority]


Question Four: How do you feel when you get to school vs. when you leave school?

Interviewee One:
I hate coming to school and I LOVE leaving school.

Interviewee Two:
[I feel sluggish. Like I have to drag myself into doing something i would rather not do. By the end of the day I feel relieved.]

Interviewee Five:
when i get to school I'm tired i don't want to be there and I'm not looking forward to the class i know i did not due the homework for. when i leave school I'm happy that i made it through another day without teachers killing me me killing teachers or [a confrontation with another student]

Question Five: How has your education prepared you for life?
Interviewee Three:
It has taught me to think critically which has allowed me to make better decisions.

Interviewee Four:
It taught me how to interact with people and basic life lessons.


Analysis:
What i concluded from my interviews was that my questions were crappy. I probably would have gotten better answers if my questions were asked in a more specific way. I also concluded that of the people i asked about high school, most of them had mixed feelings about school. For some the the social aspects of school were their favorite parts while for others the academic part of school was their favorite. The older people i asked who were reflecting back on their school experience had more of a positive view on school. The teens i asked (two were seniors while one was a sophomore) had different feelings on school. They felt pressured and stressed while the adults felt like it was a good an necessary experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment